Re: What's so cool about Scheme?

At 06:50 PM 2003.06.03 -0700, Michael Vanier wrote:
>Lots of them: SML, ocaml, Haskell, Clean, ... At least if what you mean by
>dynamic is either or both of dynamic typing and code-as-data.  Dynamic in
>your sense is by no means a prerequisite for a language to be functional.
>
>Mike

	Because first-class functions, closures, and HOFs can be created without any need for dynamicism.  Then are there any special requirements at all for implementing a functional language?  By special I mean significantly different or more expensive than the techniques used in implementing an "ordinary" language like C?  Can you be functional without CONS cells and garbage collection, with functions represented at run time only by object code, and on a hardware stack?