Re: why tail recursion matters and why Java isn't it, was Re: lispperformance was Re: problems with lisp

Michael Sperber wrote:

> Pascal> The same holds for iteration: You may not be able to cover important
> Pascal> cases, but this doesn't mean that you shouldn't include them for the
> Pascal> cases you _can_ cover.
>
> So ... ermh ... yes.  I never said any different.  Neither did Matthias.
[...]

> You are just not reading what Matthias and I are writing.  You're
> talking about "convenience," while Matthias and I are talking about
> principles and terminology.

You are right. I have stepped into the discussion although I haven't
understood this point. Yes, of course you need some basic general
constructs on which you can build the more specialized ones (and LOOP is
a very specialized one in this regard). I would never consciously argue
otherwise.

I am sorry for the confusion.

Pascal

--
Pascal Costanza               University of Bonn
mailto:costanza@web.de        Institute of Computer Science III