Re: dual-language systems increase modularity

At 12:07 PM -0800 11/16/03, Steve Dekorte wrote:
>On Nov 16, 2003, at 11:16 AM, Michael Vanier wrote:
>>  Sure, I *could* put a scripting
>>    language on top of java (kawa or jython come to mind), but essentially
>>    all I'd get from the standpoint of this code would be not having to
>>    declare types and a more interactive, introspective environment.  Nice
>>    though that is, it isn't enough of a win, especially since programming
>>    in java is not particularly painful.  Also, I don't have to design in a
>>    reflection mechanism, since java already has one.
>
>This is true in many cases, though if you're doing something very
>dynamic (like writing an interactive development environment) using
>a language like Java turns out to be a big problem.

You also have to be careful not to fall into the "All embedded
languages are perl/python/ruby" trap. It's equally useful to be able
to embed Scheme, Lisp, Forth, or Prolog, or get access to code
written in APL, Fortran, or Smalltalk.
--
                                         Dan

                                       teddy bears get drunk