Rather, DSSLs increase modularity, productivity

       Much of this discussion is consistent with the theory that
applications *are* domain-specific languages.  That is, implementors of
large systems inevitably implement an ad hoc DSL as a natural result of
development.  This is consistent with the semi-humorous comment that all
large systems eventually implement an ad hoc version of LISP -- perhaps
what they are really doing is implementing a DSL, and a LISP-like
language is the ideal type of language to implement DSLs.  This would
also explain why many DSL-scripting languages (DSSLs?) are a lot more
like LISP than the low-level application implementation language (and
why these DSSLs are showing up at LL conferences :-).

       DSLs allow programmers to deal with application-level objects in
an application-level grammar (or something close) and not worry so much
about the details that the implementation language forces them to.  More
modularity *and* more productivity - fewer lines of more relevant code
to do the same thing.

       The many problems pointed out that can arise when one has two
universes to deal with rather than one are valid points, but two
languages are not necessarily necessary.  Ideally one would have a
language that suits itself well to implementing a DSL "natively".  So
build your app in LISP or Scheme or another of our favorite languages
and you won't need to introduce a completely different DSSL on top of
it.  Problem solved, right? :-)

        Of course if you're writing a game you will probably need to
implement your 3D engine in C/++, not R5RS.  If this is the case (and
speaking as a former game programmer who's done it the traditional, hard
way), I think it is acceptable and maybe even the ideal to explicitly
shoot for the goal of "let's get out of C++ as fast as we can": Write
what you have to in C++, with an interface designed to be manipulated by
a DSSL at the earliest / lowest feasible point.  Your development of the
high-level portion of the app will be more flexible, less bug-prone,
easier, faster, cheaper, and more fun using a DSSL (Hopefully it will
execute fast enough...).  I can thus agree with Michael Vanier that if
you are using a DSSL to avoid pain, you do have a bigger problem: a
too-low-level implementation language.  But if you have to use that
language for at least part of your project, avoiding pain is a great
reason to use a scripting language.