Re: Rather, DSSLs increase modularity, productivity

My impression, from back when I actively followed polyJ, Pizza, GJ,
NextGen, etc:
The compiler statically verifies that the computation is well-typed.

What I suspect Christopher is referring to is the fact that the output
bytecode still has dynamic checks that it runs, since the generated
bytecode is backward compatible with pre GJ VMs, and so it does have to
continue to pass the runtime bytecode verifier.

So you still have the same runtime inefficiency; the main plus (but the
more important one IMO) is that you know at compile-time that things
won't go wrong with respect to type-casts.

-Felix