[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Harlequin 1.2 still available?

"Andreas Bogk" <andreas@andreas.org> wrote in message
m3og5f0zsf.fsf@soma.andreas.org">news:m3og5f0zsf.fsf@soma.andreas.org...
> Apple Dylan had it all. Oh, how I hate them for terminating the
> project just when the result was finally in reach.

  Well I actually bought it at WWDC'96, and I have to say I understand their
reasoning.  I mean when you consider:

1) it didn't run well on PPC - or at all in some cases
2) the UI side was rather outdated, making it hard to use
     for "real" apps
     - and the widgets were MacOS based, with all of their
       silly limitations like 32k of text
3) it was SLOW. For what reason I can't say, but I had
     a fast PPC at the time, and it was a DOG
4) people within Apple ignored it, so it wasn't getting
     the testing it needed

  Let's also remember this was the Amelio days, the company had to shed
weight. In that light, losing Dylan seems like a no-brainer.  Yes, it's sad
what happened by doing this, but those things happen.

Maury

Follow-Ups: References: