[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Harlequin 1.2 still available?

"Maury Markowitz" <maury_markowitz@hotmail.com> writes:

[Apple Dylan]
> 1) it didn't run well on PPC - or at all in some cases

There was a PowerPC version by Digitool, which runs quite nicely.

> 2) the UI side was rather outdated, making it hard to use
>      for "real" apps

The UI framework was *way* cool. A lot of the things mandated by the
Apple Styleguide, which you have to write by hand in C, were done
automatically. The Apple Script interface was really easy.

>      - and the widgets were MacOS based, with all of their
>        silly limitations like 32k of text

They had a C FFI, it would just have been a matter of implementing
something decent. Compared with the work that went into everything
else, this would have been trivial.

> 3) it was SLOW. For what reason I can't say, but I had
>      a fast PPC at the time, and it was a DOG

I have the native PowerPC version running on a 300 MHz Powerbook. It's
pretty snappy, I don't see the difference to FD oder GD.

It was just ahead of it's time.

>   Let's also remember this was the Amelio days, the company had to shed
> weight. In that light, losing Dylan seems like a no-brainer.  Yes, it's sad
> what happened by doing this, but those things happen.

At least they raised the standard regarding IDEs.

Andreas

--
"Anyone need a DVD decrypter for Linux?
dig @138.195.138.195 goret.org. axfr | grep '^c..\..*A' | sort \
| cut -b5-36 | perl -e 'while(<>){print pack("H32",$_)}' | gzip -d"
  -- James Brister

Follow-Ups: References: