[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Harlequin 1.2 still available?

At 9:30 AM -0400 6/6/00, Scott McKay wrote:
> >Apple Dylan actually did store all of the code in a database. There
> >were no source files, just database views.
>
>FWIW, one reason Harlqn Dylan/Fun-O Dylan is implemented the
>way it is, is that I became convinced of the wrongness of Apple's
>approach in the "corporate world".  If you had a large investment
>in source code, would you rather (1) use the proprietary source
>code database of some non-mainstream company, or (2) use a
>widely used, well-debugged, standard system such as CVS?

For what its worth, VisualAge uses a source code database approach.  They
provide a hook to use an external version control system, using a Microsoft
API for doing that sort of thing, which is supported by such products as
SourceSafe and ClearCase.  (Unfortunately, CVS doesn't seem to support the
use of this API, which has kept me from going to the effort of trying any
of the VisualAge products myself, even though they look pretty spiffy.)