[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Why I don't use Dylan

Charles Hixson wrote:

> tejavu@my-deja.com wrote:
>
> > The problem is the 30-day limit.  I only have a small amount of spare
> > time per week.  I have to wait till sometime in the future when I have
> > 30 days of free time.
>
> Second! Demo versions should be limited by the number of uses, not the
> number of days.

It is a common practice in the software industry, though. If you don't
like it, email Fun-O and tell them how a different system would
encourage you to evaluate their products.

> The last time I bought Dylan I eventually gave up on the macro syntax.

I can relate to that. :-) It looks so ugly and unlike the rest of Dylan
at first.
If you look through the Dylan library open sources at gwydiondylan.org,
the examples can help you make the leap much more quickly (I'd have been
lost without them). I can give you the urls if you're interested.

> Limited time.  Lots of choices.  A lot of what I need to do involves screen
> design, databases, and printing reports.

You can do this in Functional Developer, I think. There was a
testimonial from a database report project done in Functional Developer
on this newsgroup a few months back.

> If it weren't for MS and VB, then Access would be the obvious choice

Functional developer has ODBC, its own object database, the ability to
call Win32 APIs, its own GUI system and lots of other features it sounds
like you are after. I don't know enough about printing or screen
painting to comment on these, though.

- Rob.

--
Rob Myers - http://www.robmyers.org/   H2G2 - http://www.h2g2.com/
MacOS wonderfulness for The Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy Game.