[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Evidence that Functional Objects is real?

DylanWannaBe:

I don't work for FO so I can't comment on them.  I can comment on Dylan
Programmers.  I had a similar discussion with my boss.  We agreed that
what is *most* important is that you have good Software Engineers, not
just someone who knows the language.  You don't just want anyone with
'Dylan' on their resume  Most advanced programmers can pick up a new
language fairly easily.

I personally learned Dylan and produced a proof of concept prototype for
a big project in 3 weeks during my pre-design investigation.  This was
for a project in which a team of engineers before me failed at the very
same task.  My approach was far more advanced and 'visionary' than theirs
and most importantly was stable and usable.  I owe most of this to Dylan.

I personally think that those who take comfort in the masses of available
programmers for VC++ and VB in their language selection are misinformed.
Bad code is bad code in any language.  Its just a lot easier for good
programmers to excel in Dylan IMHO.  BTW, I also program in:

C++
Pascal
Basic
Assembler
Fortran
and FORTH

Dylan kicks butt.  I would say if you are a good software engineer
anyway, your only limitations with Dylan are your own vision and courage.

Les

  dylanwannabee@nodylanhere.com wrote:
> My boss won't let me use Dylan because he's under the impression that Dylan
> was dumped by Harlequin and picked up by F.O. as a hobby project.  He doesn't
> believe F.O. is a real company with venture capital and employees.  He says
> the owner is probably a contract programmer who does the F.O. work between
> contracts, and probably had his teenager do the F.O. web site.
>
> What can I say or do to convince my boss to let me use Dylan?  If I can't
> convince him F.O. is a real company, I have to at least be able to convince
> him that it will be possible for us to hire Dylan programmers in the future.
> Is there a Dylan job web site with resumes etc.?
>
> By the way, my boss is not just automatically saying no to everything I ask.
> He's very reasonable about most things, and always goes out of his way to
> make sure I understand the logic behind all of his decisions that affect my
> work.  He spent thousands of dollars for new hardware for my convenience just
> because I requested it.  It would be easy for me to convince him to let me
> use Dylan if I could find something solid to prove it's not just a hobby.
>
> Please post replies.  Thanks.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Follow-Ups: References: