Re: Var-free programming (slightly off-topic)

Morgan McGuire <morgan3d@yahoo.com> writes:

> There are so many Scheme variants and they are hard
> to get running, each with its own language peculiarities as well--
> heavyweight.
[...]
> In my recent experience, Python admirably fulfilled this.

How much more heavyweight did Python become when Jython was created?
Could I undermine the lightweight experience you're having with Python
by creating my own variant?

For my part, I'm quite happy with using just one or two decent Scheme
implementations.  The fact that half a dozen others are just an apt-get
install away doesn't trip me.

You mentioned being able to create a "decent" Scheme implementation in a
few days.  If that's the case, I expect you'll find the overlap between
major Scheme implementations to be more than decent.  The parts that
overlap are more than could be decently implemented in a few days.

--
<brlewis@[(if (brl-related? message)    ; Bruce R. Lewis
              "users.sourceforge.net"   ; http://brl.sourceforge.net/