Re: Var-free programming (slightly off-topic)

> Morgan McGuire <morgan3d@yahoo.com> writes:
>
> > There are so many Scheme variants and they are hard
> > to get running, each with its own language peculiarities as well--
> > heavyweight.
> [...]
> > In my recent experience, Python admirably fulfilled this.
>
> How much more heavyweight did Python become when Jython was created?
> Could I undermine the lightweight experience you're having with Python
> by creating my own variant?

It is the reverse.  Each additional variant makes a language more
lightweight,as the expectation that a given program will work in any
other context with another implementation decreases.

Lightweight languages have more dependencies than heavier languages.

-Alex-

S. Alexander Jacobson			i2x Media
1-917-783-0889 voice			1-212-697-1427 fax