.NET CLR? was no subject

Sorry for the useless message.  I had trouble frazing my question and it
was late, my brain was frized,...  So, i'll try again.

I've been trying to formulate an opinion about Java vs C#.  I started with

http://www.prism.gatech.edu/~gte855q/CsharpVsJava.html which is fairly
detailed comparison.

The differences seem mostly annoying, though two things seemed interesting:

T1:  Multilanguage support through the Common Language Runtime (CLR).
This paper:
http://research.microsoft.com/~emeijer/Papers/MondrianDDJ.pdf about the
functional language Mondrian shows a nice example where a C# program
invokes an iterator which is really a Mondrian infinite list.  So, i can
imagine using Mondrian to do parsing for a C# program - Cool!

However, http://www.javalobby.org/clr.html suggests that a language, say L,
becomes L#, a hybrid langauge, with C# warts or performance
limitations.  The article even quotes David Simmons about Smallscript.

T2: attributes.

C# code can contain attributes that become metadata that can be used by the
runtime system.  For an aspect oriented example see:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/msdnmag/nettop.asp?page=/msdnmag/issues/02/03/AOP/AOP.asp&ad=ads.ddj.com/msdnmag/premium.htm

So the questions are:  Is CLR a good thing from a language implementation
point of view, ie, are you better off than implementing a language in Java,
say?  From a programmers point of view, does programming in multiple
languages with a common runtime help?  Would you program in multiple languages?

How good is this metadata idea?