Re: Scriptometer: measuring the ease of SOP (Script Oriented Programming) of programming languages

   Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2002 08:44:34 -0500
   From: Daniel Weinreb <DLWeinreb@attbi.com>
   To: Anton van Straaten <anton@appsolutions.com>
   CC: ll1-discuss@ai.mit.edu

   I don't know what you mean by "mandatory exception handling".  I just
   think that languages are

   clearer for the reader and the writer when they judiciously and
   tastfully use an exception mechanism
   of the try/handle variety rather than depending on error-code-parameters
   or global "errno" variables.

How do you feel about explicit continuations?

 (sqrt -3 :negative-arg #'(lambda (arg) (format t "Bazola!") (go ulose)))

Okay, that's a stupid example.

 (open "/usr/gls/baz"
       :if-does-not-exist #'(lambda () (create-file "/usr/gls/baz") :retry)
       :if-volume-not-mounted #'send-email-to-sysadmin-pager
       :if-access-denied ...)

--Guy