RE: Scriptometer: measuring the ease of SOP (Script Oriented Programming) of programming languages

Noel Welsh wrote:
> So perhaps we should be pulling apart the two concepts
> entangled in an exception:
>
> 1.  Signalling another (abnormal) result
> 2.  Jumping to code intended to handle that result

Yes, absolutely.  In fact, I think there are a whole lot of semi-orthogonal
factors relating to exception handling which really need to be disentangled,
if only for language design analysis purposes.  (I'll have to get back to
you on exactly what they are...)  Some of those factors relate to usability,
so it's not just whether we can prove that a program handles every possible
exception, but also what costs and unintended consequences this entails and
how they can be minimized.

Anton