Re: Y Store now C++

I once read that while the number of students majoring in computer
science has increased dramatically (compared to, say, 1980?), the
number of students who are actually good at it has stayed about
the same.

Could this be the source of many of the "average" programmers?
Students who aren't really interested in CS major in it anyway
(perhaps with financial aspirations, or just because it sounds
neat, or whatever), and then go out and get jobs doing something
they aren't really interested in?

Maybe it's easy to be needlessly hard on the "average" programmers.
They don't necessarily have the intense interest in programming
that the people on this list have.  It's just a job for them.
We wouldn't expect fry cooks at Hardee's to put serious thought
into the tools and procedures they use; most of them just do
exactly as they are told.  Cooking fries is just a job; their
intense interests are elsewhere.

I'm only guessing, but that might explain the present state of
things, at least in part.  But since Lisp *is* being taught in
schools more, it sounds reasonable that its future could be
bright...  :-)

 -- Trevis Rothwell