Re: PG: Hackers and Painters and squishy phrases

Zooko wrote:

> Unfortunately (?), there is not yet any translation of XP from enthusiastic
> and colorful advocacy into dry and standardized industrial prose.  Therefore,
> the way to make a good value judgment about XP is is to first suspend judgment
> while you give it a hearing on its own terms.
>
> I strongly recommend this book, _Extreme_Programming_Explained_.  It is cheap,
> short, and fun, and it presents a comprehensive picture of the practice.  XP
> is more than the sum of its parts, and the book focusses on this fact.
> Mailing list discussions, web pages, and magazine articles will mislead you
> about what XP offers by presenting only part of the picture.

I have found the book "Planning Extreme Programming" by Kent Beck and
Martin Fowler to be a little more down to earth and illuminating. It
seems to me that Martin Fowler has succeeded in toning down Kent Beck's
somewhat provocative wordings. ;)

Pascal

--
Pascal Costanza               University of Bonn
mailto:costanza@web.de        Institute of Computer Science III