Re: What's so cool about Scheme?

On Tue, Jun 03, 2003 at 12:27:25PM -0400, Guy Steele - Sun Microsystems Labs wrote:

> It may have to do with the fact that many of the
> "simple" functions on lists that are used as early
> teaching examples are in fact purely functional:
>
> (define (append x y)
>   (if (null? x) y (cons (car x) (append (cdr x) y))))
>
> (define (member? x y)
>   (and (not (null? y))
>        (or (equal? x (car y))
>            (member? x (cdr y)))))
>
> (define map (f x)
>   (if (null? x) x (cons (f (car x)) (map f (cdr x)))))

This is slightly off topic but...

I took scheme in college, and promptly forgot it after the class was
over since I was much more interested in C++ at the time.  I've come
back to scheme now, and I think I've come to really like the elegance
of the language.  The problem I'm having is, unlike many other
languages I learned, I'm having problems finding and learning the
idioms beyond the basic ones. I'm having a problem finding examples to
advance to the "next level".  Are there any pieces of
code/projects/books that any of you would suggest which would give
comprehensive examples of idioms and even styles.

-billy