Re: A Patent on Continuations?

On Mon, 2003-08-11 at 23:59, Peter J. Wasilko, Esq. wrote:
> But let me say that, as an attorney license to practice law in the Great
> State of New York, as an active member of the New York State Bar
> Association, and as an avid reader of many legal periodicals, it is my
> personal  experience, (non-statistically verified or backed by peer
> review), that this is the view held by the vast majority of legal
> periodicals, law school faculty, and graduates.

It would help immensely if you provided references for these claims
(article reference, faculty member quotes).

I assume that lawyers are a special class of citizens that never
read mainstream press and never talk to non-lawyers in the field.
And it's even more the case for law journalists and professors? Wow.

You'll find lots of links to opinions here:
<http://legacy.eos.ncsu.edu/eos/info/computer_ethics/intellectual/law/patents/>

In particular:
<http://www.nytimes.com/library/magazine/home/20000312mag-patents.html>

<<
Patently Absurd

Once the province of a nuts-and-bolts world, patents are now being
applied to thoughts and ideas in cyberspace. It's a ridiculous
phenomenon, and it could kill e-commerce. By JAMES GLEICK
[...]

None of your friend read the New York Times?

I'm of course not talking about Europe where 100 000 people
of the profession signed a petition *against* the allowance
of software patents.

> Enlightened views like those of Professor Lawrence Lessig are by far the
> exception rather than the rule.

I assume Lawrence Lessig is totally unknown to your friends, they
never heard or wanted to know about a high profile Supreme Court
Intellectual Property case that no newspaper talked about and what were
the lawyer behind it thinkings about various other IP issues?

Come on.

Laurent