Re: Aikido language

Greetings,

I have downloaded and compiled Aikido, and I have found it to be a very
interesting language, precisely within the limits you yourself expose on the
documentation, and very coherent with the goals it was intended to reach.

I find particularly useful the weakly static "typing" (generic variables are
like usual variables in other scripting languages, but the fact that a
regular variable gets fixed to the type of the first value it's initiated
with is very interesting, I guess it allows for some early checkings that
may be interesting to do, even if Aikido is apparently the kind of
bind-as-late-as-possible language, which is very useful as well for several
kind of things).

Another things I have found very interesting is the block inheritance and
the extension ability, this feature reminds my of Ruby dynamic class
extension, or even Javascript ability to make object prototypes vary/change
in runtime, really useful and elegant, and the -> operator on streams.

Just some questions:

a) why is GTK+ mandatory? I'd say having GTK+ as an optional feature would
be a sensible thing (lots of programming tasks don't need a gui)

b) any plans of updating aikido with SQL and/or LDAP streams? Provided
theses I could start using Aikido right away in my day-to-day job
(experimentally, of course, but I am sure my customers would agree that it's
easier to read than perl, even when we all love perl :-)

c) when extending a function, is there any mechanism to signal where is the
new code to be inserted, or it is simply appended to the original function
body? I am asking this mostly because if a function returns, no added code
will ever be executed, and being able to extend a function and add it a
debugging print here or there, without the need to touch the original code,
would make testing and debugging much easier...

anyway, congrats for a fine language, with a great name :)

best regards,
david