Re: So, what the heck is a continuation anyway?

At 11:59 PM 12/10/2001 -0500, S. Alexander Jacobson wrote:
>On Mon, 10 Dec 2001, Dan Sugalski wrote:
> > Still, the tack I'm taking with the engine is to make as much as reasonable
> > part of the core. Yeah it violates the "small, simple, and elegant"
> > principle, but that's OK with me. :) The more functionality, and the more
> > advanced functionality, that the core engine provides, the less low-level
> > annoying stuff people need to do. That leaves more time to do interesting
> > things.
>
>So why not just translate/compile python/perl to scheme?

I'll give a fuller answer later when I have time, but the biggest
show-stopping answer is:

People

This is an all volunteer engineering project. (And it really is--there's no
science to speak of in most of it. It's engineering and craftsmanship, with
a bit of art thrown in) The personnel, and their skills, available to me
are as much a part of the design as the language itself. If I decided to go
with scheme as a target, I'd soon find myself with insufficient people to
actually do the job, and that wouldn't help me solve the problem I'm tasked
with.

					Dan

                                      teddy bears get drunk