Re: how expressive are they?

   Outside of the define-xxx class (and LOOP) I am having a hard time
   remembering
   examples, but if I had the Genera code base at hand, I bet I could find
   some.  Is
   anybody out there sitting at a Lisp machine with sources?
Dan: Yes. What do you want to look up?

   Macros are a heavy-duty tool for heavy-duty jobs.
Agreed. I think this discussion has been interesting because Trevor
and others are attempting to tease apart "what" makes macros
useful. Avoiding code repetition (w/ all the productivity and code
maintenance advantages that brings) seems to be (to me at least) the
top contender.