Re: Language documentation

On Thu, Feb 20, 2003 at 11:11:54AM -0500, Guy Steele - Sun Microsystems Labs wrote:
> I really miss SNOBOL.  It was superior to awk in some ways.
Well, Icon, developed by the author of SNOBOL, was mentionned here, too,
although the Icon Handbook also only mentions files later than chapter 5.
I don't know enough of either SNOBOL or Icon, but I'd bet that Icon
can express all that SNOBOL can.

I'm not familiar with SNOBOL. What are the difficulties involved
in implementing its missed functionality as a set of Lisp macros?
(If it requires backtracking, then there's Screamer).

A programming language is low level
when its programs require attention to the irrelevant.
	-- Alan Perlis