Re: Vectors as functions

At 3:29 PM -0400 8/15/03, Joe Marshall wrote:
>The biggest problem with first-class environments ala MIT Scheme
>is the introduction of new bindings at runtime.  If you introduce a
>new binding, the `lexical address' (frame and offset) of a variable
>cannot be statically determined and you have to do a deep search
>every time.  It absolutely destroys any sort of compiler optimization.

You get used to it. Besides, compared to the optimizer hit that
active data with unrestricted side-effects gives, this is nothing.

>If you went a tad further and allowed *syntactic* binding in
>first-class environments, you'd be truly hosed.

Oddly enough, no. It just makes certain classes of problems less
tenable, but in return it makes other classes of problems more
amenable to easy (well, OK, conceptually simple, with sufficient
under the hood handwaving) solution. The biggest issue is that once
you end up doing this, you find that you're really just writing an
oddly-syntaxed version of perl, python, or ruby, and your tenure is
in danger. :)

(In other words, welcome to my world...)

--
                                         Dan

                                       teddy bears get drunk