[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Harlequin 1.2 still available?

in article 960348489.553826@nnrp.gt.ca, Maury Markowitz at
maury@remove_this.sympatico.ca.invalid wrote on 6/6/00 11:41 AM:

> "Andreas Bogk" <andreas@andreas.org> wrote in message
> m3hfb61z89.fsf@soma.andreas.org">news:m3hfb61z89.fsf@soma.andreas.org...
>> There was a PowerPC version by Digitool, which runs quite nicely.
>
> Well that simply sidesteps the issue.  The *Apple* version was a dog, and
> since they were the cheerleaders (or I should say certain people within
> Apple) having a good third party solution is largely identical to having no
> solution as far as the market is concerned.  Maybe it shouldn't be that way,
> but if you're interested in changing human nature, I'd start with war...
> :-)

It sidesteps absolutely nothing! :-) The digitool version was done for
Apple, and was sold by Apple for some time as the TR for the PPC platform.

>> The UI framework was *way* cool.
>
> But also lacked coverage. Again, this just needed doing.

Exactly, it needed doing, and it would have been done, of course, if
development had not been halted. At the same time, it was already much ahead
of its time.

>> I have the native PowerPC version running on a 300 MHz Powerbook. It's
>> pretty snappy, I don't see the difference to FD oder GD.
>
> Well I had it running on a 7200/120, one of the fastest machines at the
> time.  It was a dog.  I'm sure that all slow programs will eventually run
> reasonably well given a few Moore cycles, but again, that doesn't address
> the issue that at the time it was slow.
>
> Remember, products are known largely by their first releases.  Look at the
> Newton for instance.  Yes, they should have sat on it for a version or two,
> but they already had been waiting too long.

Well, there you use the magic words "first releases". They were not really
releases. They were technology previews. Too bad some people can't seem to
distinguish between experimental releases and the "real thing".

António

Cultivate and enjoy patience, to
speed you along the path to freedom.

--Tonio