[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Results: finished teaching one Dylan course

BTW, I should be fair and credit other great languages that
nobody learns from.  The commercial community ignores
functional languages like ML or Haskell, too; think of how
much simpler, say, GridBagConstraints would be if its
designers had been "thinking functional" and Java had
keyword (named) parameters.  Or languages like Self,
or more recently Cecil, which takes the efficient compilation
of dynamically typed languages even farther than Dylan.
Suppose a Java designer had paid attention to some of
the papers that had been available early on, and discovered
that, e.g., there is a defensible strategy for making multiple
inheritance work right, or efficient ways to compile things
that don't require boatloads of casting.

C++ is history repeated as tragedy.  Java is history repeated
as farce.

Scott McKay wrote in message
<_zh05.44228$Ft1.2424414@typhoon.ne.mediaone.net>...
>To re-use an old quotation... in most fields, people stand
>on each other's shoulders.  In computing, we stand on each
>other's toes.
>
>Not only will the world re-invent Lisp/Smalltalk/Dylan poorly,
>the latter day sub-geniuses will then claim credit, such as I
>saw a few years back in a Sun marketing blurb claiming that
>Sun Java had the first commercial GC, despite the fact that
>they themselves had sold Lucid Lisp 15 years ago (tho' they
>called it something Sun-ish).
>
>Edward Jason Riedy wrote in message <8hrimj$dng$1@agate.berkeley.edu>...
>>And Chris Double writes:
>> -
>> - [...] the full quote is apparently:
>> -
>> -   "Some people think, for instance, that Dylan--which I think has a
>> -    very academic flavor--is everything Python is plus so much more."
>> -    To which the interviewer replies "Dylan?  I've never heard of it",
>> -    which, says Guido, is its problem.
>>
>>And as of a few months ago, he still doesn't know anything about
>>it (at a conference in SF).  I recommended that he look into it
>>for Py3K ideas, as have others.  The ideas floated about Py3K (the
>>next overhaul of the language) make it look like it might be a
>>single-dispatch version of Dylan without the macros, and without
>>the - character allowed in identifiers.  The world will eventually
>>re-invent Dylan, poorly.
>>
>>Jason

Follow-Ups: References: