[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Results: finished teaching one Dylan course

To re-use an old quotation... in most fields, people stand
on each other's shoulders.  In computing, we stand on each
other's toes.

Not only will the world re-invent Lisp/Smalltalk/Dylan poorly,
the latter day sub-geniuses will then claim credit, such as I
saw a few years back in a Sun marketing blurb claiming that
Sun Java had the first commercial GC, despite the fact that
they themselves had sold Lucid Lisp 15 years ago (tho' they
called it something Sun-ish).

Edward Jason Riedy wrote in message <8hrimj$dng$1@agate.berkeley.edu>...
>And Chris Double writes:
> -
> - [...] the full quote is apparently:
> -
> -   "Some people think, for instance, that Dylan--which I think has a
> -    very academic flavor--is everything Python is plus so much more."
> -    To which the interviewer replies "Dylan?  I've never heard of it",
> -    which, says Guido, is its problem.
>
>And as of a few months ago, he still doesn't know anything about
>it (at a conference in SF).  I recommended that he look into it
>for Py3K ideas, as have others.  The ideas floated about Py3K (the
>next overhaul of the language) make it look like it might be a
>single-dispatch version of Dylan without the macros, and without
>the - character allowed in identifiers.  The world will eventually
>re-invent Dylan, poorly.
>
>Jason

Follow-Ups: References: