[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Help getting FD up and running

[My apologies for not saying anything on this subject 'till now ...]

At 6:30 PM -0400 6/29/01, Chris Double wrote:
>kachina@gte.net (Kachina) writes:
>
>>  Heck, I would consider buying a cheep PIII (a true sign of
>>  desperation), but I'm not sure I could get it running on that
>>  either.  I haven't been able to get the commercial version of Dylan
>>  running on any PC (real or virtual) now that I think of it... Not
>>  since HD.
>
>What were the problems on the real PC? I've never had a problem on a
>number of machines. Just run the various installers and it works.

Windows 95/98/Me are not really suitable for use as a development
platform.  They crash far too easily and their support for debuggers,
etc. is weak compared to that of Windows NT/2000.  We (i.e.,
Functional Objects) do all our development work on either Windows NT
or Windows 2000 and Functional Developer is quite stable on those
platforms.

At the moment, Functional Developer does not appear to be compatible
with Windows Me and we've been unable to resolve the problems as yet.
But, even if we did, Windows Me is still too fragile to be used for
development work.

(We've done preliminary testing against pre-release versions of
Windows XP and it appears that Functional Developer is compatible.
However, until we can test against the released version, we can't
guarantee that we'll be OK.)

>  >
>>  Who among you has successfully run FD on VirtualPC?  What version?
>
>Maybe it is not compatible with VirtualPC after all?

I've done testing with Virtual PC 4.02 for Macintosh and I'm sorry to
report that Functional Developer isn't compatible.  Using Windows
2000 under Virtual PC, the Developer crashes with integer overflow
errors that do not occur running under Windows 2000 on a real PC.
Presumably, this is an emulator bug.

I've also tried the just released Virtual PC 4.0 for Windows.  I've
used it to run Windows XP as the guest OS on my PC and Functional
Developer appears to work.  However, when I tried it with Windows Me
as the guest OS, the Developer would crash in ways that, I'm told, do
not occur when running under Windows Me on a real PC.  (However, as I
don't have any detailed reports on the failures under Windows Me on a
real PC, I can't yet blame Virtual PC for Windows.)

   - Gary Palter,
     Functional Objects, Inc.