Re: Have you always dreamed of become a high payed consultant?

In article <3DE6D0CE.6AA2@paralynx.com>, Ed Guy <ed_guy@paralynx.com>
writes
>However, you forget that the French DID conquer England in 1066
Definitely wrong. Normans were not French as there was no such thing at
that time (apart from some vague notional concept).

>and the language
>known
>today as English is one of the results.

It is debatable as to how much English owes to the Normans but it is
definitely rooted in Anglo-Saxon with elements of Norse, Gaelic (chiefly
Welsh) and Danish. However, this is really an argument for another
newsgroup. Unless you are arguing that Cobol is intrinsically
French/Norman?

> From the old records it looks as if
>that was
>when my ancestors showed up in the UK.
>
>They love me in Quebec when I talk about how my ancestors licked the Anglo
>Saxons at
>Hastings.

The Japanese have a word: Gekokujo. The low overcoming the high. In
Japan it refers to the act of the low breed ashigaru (peasant foot
soldiers) displacing their high breed samurai masters in armies and
society. In our context it would refer to the success of the Anglo-Saxon
population in assimilating their new 'masters'.

--
Alistair Maclean

Algorithmic, heuristic, sadistic
- Stanislaw Lem