Re: Have you always dreamed of become a high payed consultant?

Robert Graham <rgraham2@nycap.rr.com> wrote in message
3DE4C833.7000300@nycap.rr.com">news:3DE4C833.7000300@nycap.rr.com...
> I like a Scottish proverb which
> says something like "The moving hand, having writ, moves on
> never to return."

Arrrghhhh! No, I simply can't stand to see one of my favourite pieces
mis-quoted and claimed for Scotland...<G>

The quotation comes from "The Rubaiat of Omar Khyaam" and was written around
400 years ago (I think...it's late and I am too tired to check the
reference) by an uneducated Arab tent maker  named Omar Khyaam (As far as I
know, he never visited Scotland...<G>)

"The moving finger writes
  And, having writ,
  Moves on.
  Nor all your piety or wit
  Shall lure it back to cancel half a line.
  Nor all your tears
  Wash out a word of it."

The translation into English was done by Richard Burton, the famous explorer
who competed with Speke to find the source of the Nile in the 19th Century.

If you like Omar's thoughts on the inevitability of the passage of Time, you
might enjoy his description of morning...(another of my favourites <G>)

"Awake!
 For morning in the bowl of night
 Has flung the stone
 that puts the stars to flight. (the Sun...)
And Lo!
The hunter of the East (Sun again)
Has caught the Sultan's turret (the Sky)
In a noose of light."

I make no apology whatsoever for the above off-topic and totally irrelevant
post. When you look at the drivel that gets posted here, it is about time
the quality of the drivel was raised a bit...<G>

Pete

                http://www.usenet.com