Re: Have you always dreamed of become a high payed consultant?

Peter E. C. Dashwood wrote:

> Now, see, if that had been me, I would have used another of MacBeth's
> soliloquys: "We are but teachers preaching bloody instructions, which, being
> taught, return to plague th' inventor...This even handed justice commends
> our poisoned chalice to our own lips." Now doesn't that sum up programming
> and debugging perfectly?  And good ol' Willy wrote it 400 years before
> computers were invented! Don't tell me the man wasn't a genius...<G>)

Well now, as to them returning to "plague th' inventor", I
don't know about that, at least not many that "I" have
invented.  Most of my projects were as a consultant who
moved on to other clients after the system was installed, so
any plagues that arose were inflicted on the maintenance
programmer (lucky dog).  I like a Scottish proverb which
says something like "The moving hand, having writ, moves on
never to return."  Although being imperfect, I have had on
occasion been handed the "poisoned chalice" because a
mistake on my part brought the system to a screeching halt.
  Not often mind you, and not recently, but in the early
days when I once received 6 boxes of 8-1/2 by 11 dump.  Boy
did I quickly learn how to suppress dumps in my JCL jobs. :)