Re: Have you always dreamed of become a high payed consultant?

That was fascinating, Ed. I knew that Guy was a very old name and I watched
a couple of the "Blood of the Vikings" episodes, but I didn't know about the
genetic problem.

Given the family history or pillage and plunder, you'd have to be a
contractor, right <G>?

Pete.

Ed Guy <ed_guy@paralynx.com> wrote in message
3DE79D07.64BE@paralynx.com">news:3DE79D07.64BE@paralynx.com...
> Alistair Maclean wrote:
> >
> > In article <3DE6D0CE.6AA2@paralynx.com>, Ed Guy <ed_guy@paralynx.com>
> > writes
> > >However, you forget that the French DID conquer England in 1066
> > Definitely wrong. Normans were not French as there was no such thing at
> > that time (apart from some vague notional concept).
>
> True, the Normans were the "North Men", having invaded and taken over as
rulers of that
> part of France.  However, as was made clear in a recent TV series "Blood
of the
> Vikings", a large number of their troops were ethnically French (i.e.
longer time
> dwellers in what we now call France).  "Guy" is a French name (derived
from an old
> German one, not Norse) and there plenty of "Guys" with the Normans.
>
> There were even some Scots returning to Britain.  A friend of mine is
named "Lamont",
> which he says was derived from "Lomond" and that his ancestors went from
Scotland to
> France, francisied their name and returned in 1066.
>
> > >and the language
> > >known
> > >today as English is one of the results.
> >
> > It is debatable as to how much English owes to the Normans but it is
> > definitely rooted in Anglo-Saxon with elements of Norse, Gaelic (chiefly
> > Welsh) and Danish.
>
> We were taught that the language shows how Normans were the ruling class.
The names of
> foods in English often come from the French (e.g."Beef") while the names
of the animals
> ("Cow") come from Anglo Saxon - because the Saxons looked after the
animals while the
> Normans only ate them.
>
> > However, this is really an argument for another
> > newsgroup. Unless you are arguing that Cobol is intrinsically
> > French/Norman?
>
> It's a linguistic issue.  We were taught Latin to give us an idea of the
operation of a
> highly structured language in order to better understand grammar. COBOL
hadn't been
> invented then. While I was learning COBOL in the mid 1960s I often thought
that it
> should replace Latin in the schools fro that purpose.
>

> > > From the old records it looks as if
> > >that was
> > >when my ancestors showed up in the UK.
> > >
> > >They love me in Quebec when I talk about how my ancestors licked the
Anglo
> > >Saxons at
> > >Hastings.
> > >
> > The Japanese have a word: Gekokujo. The low overcoming the high. In
> > Japan it refers to the act of the low breed ashigaru (peasant foot
> > soldiers) displacing their high breed samurai masters in armies and
> > society. In our context it would refer to the success of the Anglo-Saxon
> > population in assimilating their new 'masters'.
>
> In this case they apparently married them.  I was born on the East coast
of England -
> which was dominated by Vikings at one time.  I knew from Domesday Book
that the Guys
> were there in the late 11th century (direct line records to me only from
1580, though -
> the Church started keeping them then).  I was surprised to see in the same
TV program
> that Viking blood carries a genetically linked problem (Dupuyton's
Contracture) - which

                http://www.usenet.com