Re: Have you always dreamed of become a high payed consultant?

Robert Graham <rgraham2@nycap.rr.com> wrote in message
3DE5930B.9090603@nycap.rr.com">news:3DE5930B.9090603@nycap.rr.com...

> (This one is perhaps the most well known?)
>
> A book of verses underneath the bough,
> A jug of wine, a loaf of bread - and thou
> Beside me singing in the wilderness -
> Oh, wilderness were Paradise now!
>   (Stanza XII - Fitzgerald Version)

Er... I recall the last line as:
"And Wilderness were Paradise enow..." ("enow" being a poetic form of
"enough")

As you can see, it changes the meaning subtly... (Could be differences in
various translations; I know the Fitzgerald one is the most popular.)

> My personal favorite is this:
>
> Today is thine to spend, but not tomorrow,
> Counting on 'morrows breedeth naught but sorrow;
> Oh! Squander not this breath that Heaven hath lent thee,
> Nor make too sure another breath to borrow!
>    (Stanza XVIII - Whinfield Version)

Yeah, that's a great one... didn't have it in my memory but will from now
on...<G>

My father's favourite (he died in 1957 and introduced me to Omar Khyaam when
I was eight) was:

"Passing by the Marketplace one day
 I saw a potter
 Thumping his wet clay.
 And with its all obliterated tongue
 It murmured "Gently Brother, gently pray..." "

> However, when it comes to programming by imperfect
> programmers, one can only hope that the manager remembers
> that "Mercy was made for sinners" (Stanza XXVII, Whinfield
> Version).
>
> All my programs are not works of poetry, but I try! :)

It is my belief that anyone who appreciates poetry is capable of writing
great COBOL...but of course, I can't prove it...<G>

Pete.

                http://www.usenet.com