Re: Have you always dreamed of become a high payed consultant?

On 28-Nov-2002, "Hugh Candlin" <no@spam.com> wrote:

RE:  "The moving hand, having writ, moves on never to return."

> > Arrrghhhh! No, I simply can't stand to see one of my favourite pieces
> > mis-quoted and claimed for Scotland...<G>
> >
> > The quotation comes from "The Rubaiat of Omar Khyaam" and was written around
> > 400 years ago (I think...it's late and I am too tired to check the
> > reference) by an uneducated Arab tent maker  named Omar Khyaam (As far as I
> > know, he never visited Scotland...<G>)
>
> You got the name of the piece wrong.
> You got the name of the author wrong.
> You got the date wrong by around 500 years.

So the original quote comes from around the year 1200 or 2100...

Check out http://www.bartleby.com/41/623.html  (Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam of
Naishapur (1048?-1122)).  I'm not sure I would quibble about spelling over that
time (why does my spell checker give only one spelling for Shakespeare, if the
bard used a bunch of spellings?)

                  LXXVI
The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ,
Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit
  Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line,
Nor all your Tears wash out a Word of it.

Could you point us to the quote from around the year 100